The 2018 Race for the Cure is Saturday | 10.06.2018 | Black & Veatch
11401 Lamar | Overland Park, KS | Click here for a map/directions
Race Day Maps
Registration for Race for the Cure is open - Go to the top of this page and start your journey to support a world without breast cancer! You can register three ways:
- Start or Re-form a Team
- Join a Team
- Register as an Individual
Race participant categories include:
- Adult (18+ years old)
- Survivor or those living with Metastatic Breast Cancer
- Youth (Under 18 years old)
- Virtual (Want to support the event but cannot attend)
We are honored to be able to offer our supporters a multitude of upgrades and additional options during registration including:
- Timing Chip ($5): For the 5K course runners who wish to be professionally timed. Times will be available at the Ultramax tent after the race as well as online after 6P Race day.
- Hero Photo Recognition | L-O-V-E Letters ($10): Submit your favorite photo of a survivor or someone living with metastatic breast cancer to be featured on our 8-foot tall pink letters spelling out the word LOVE. Email your digital photos by 09.14.2018 to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Packet Mailing ($15): Have your Race t-shirt, Race bib, safety pins, back signs and any other upsells sent to you prior to Race day if you select this option on or before 09.28.2018. Selecting this option after 09.28.2018 will mean your Race packet will be sent out after Race day.
- 25th Anniversary Charlie Hustle Race Shirt ($32): Local vintage clothing giant Charlie Hustle has designed a limited edition 25th Anniversary Race for the Cure shirt sold exclusively to Race participants. Only 2,500 to be produced. Unisex short-sleeved shorts will be matched to your Race t-shirt size.
Team Registration Details
Team members that are registered by 09.28.18 (900P) will be included in the packaging for all Teams including those having their shirts/supplies delivered or picked up during Race Week.
NOTE - Teams with 50 or more participants can have their shirts/supplies delivered on Monday or Tuesday of Race Week to your office location. If a team member registers after that time/date, they can still join your team but their shirts/supplies will not be packaged with the Team delivery and shipment that week.
Deadlines aside, there is always time to add more team members! Registration never closes, even on Race Day. Please send one more e-mail, make another phone call and get as many of your friends and family registered today if possible!
Pre-registered or Late Registration for Teams & individual participants:
- 10.03.2018 Wednesday | Dick's Sporting Goods - Leawood | 10A – 7P
- 10.04.2018 Thursday | Dick's Sporting Goods - Lee's Summit | 10A – 7P
- 10.05.2018 Friday | Dick's Sporting Goods - Zona Rosa | 10A – 7P
- 10.06.2018 Race Day | Black & Veatch | 11401 Lamar | 2P – 6P
* T-shirts are available while supplies last
Team Captains & Team Members can turn in their fundraising dollars at any of the Late Registration & Packet Pickup events through Race Day, 10.06.18.
On Race Day: Look for the Komen Piggy Bank for the Cure display including a 12' tall pink pig in the center of the Expo area. You can drop off your fundraising there as well!
Teams T-shirt Contest
Have you created your own Team T-shirt Design for the 2018 Race? Send pictures of your designs (Electronic files submission &/or the actual t-shirt) to email@example.com or send to Team Tshirt Contest, 8900 State Line Road, #333, Leawood, KS 66206 by 09.28.18 to be entered into the Team T-shirt Contest held on Race Day.
Race Day Schedule
- 200P – Teams Park & Parking Lots Open (Sprint, Black & Veatch & Misc.)
- 200P – Late Registration & Packet Pick Up Open
- 200P – Expo, Survivor Pavilion & Kids for the Cure Open
- 200P – Food Truck Row Opens @ EXPO
- 215P – Concert featuring The Zeros @ Edelman & Thompson Main Stage
- 315P – Runner & Walker Warm Up @ Edelman & Thompson Main Stage
- 330P – Opening Ceremony & Parade* @ Edelman & Thompson Main Stage
- 400P – 5K Timed & Untimed Race Start @ Start Line
- 430P – 1 Mile Runners & Walkers Start @ Start Line
* Survivors and those living with metastatic breast cancer to gather in the Survivor's Pavilion at 320P
The Race is scheduled to proceed rain or shine. It's Kansas so we may have all four seasons showing up in one day. Susan G. Komen may delay the start times or various aspects of the Race venue if the weather becomes dangerous to those participating. Please be sure to check our Website and social media channels to get the latest Race Day information. More ways to stay connected are below.
Handicapped Parking: Northwest corner of the Black & Veatch parking lots. Please use Lamar to 112th Street to access handicapped parking. Be sure to have your permit in plain view! With more than 10,000 participants, supporters, volunteers, and vendors, parking can be challenging. Plan ahead and be prepared. Additional parking information – as we know it today – is as follows:
- Sprint Campus Parking (Free): Enter Westbound from Nall & 115th; Turn left on Sprint Parkway. Parking will be authorized for Race Day in Lots C, D & E (Look for Komen KC Volunteers or signs).
- Black & Veatch Parking (Free): Enter on the north side of the campus from 112th & Nall; Turn left at designated parking lot entrances. Parking will be authorized for Race Day on the north side only (Look for Komen KC Volunteers or signs).
Click here for parking maps and directions (Coming Soon)
Road Closures & Traffic Delays
- 112th St. (EB & WB) will be closing at 300P.
- 115th St. (EB) will be closing at 330P.
- 115th St. (WB) limited access to the JCC from 400P until after Race.
- 117th St. (EB & WB) will be closing at 400P until after Race.
- Lamar & Outlook (NB & SB) will be closing at 300P until after Race.
Get your special Komen Kansas City Race hotel room rate for our 10.06.2018 event. Stay the night before (or the night after) Race at our official Race Hotel. Click here for the special rates or call them directly (Coming Soon)
There are still volunteer opportunities available for before, during and after Race. School groups, social clubs, National Honor Society Community Service hours, you name it: We need you!
Volunteers will receive email reminders prior to their shift. All Race day volunteers, unless otherwise told, should plan on meeting at their designated locations at their assigned times. Volunteer shirts will be provided while supplies last. Many groups choose to wear their "brand" for additional promotion.
Race Day Maps
Certified 5K Course
The USATF Certification Code is: KS17013TJD
- 5K Timed: Meet at 350P at Start Line (Please allow those with BLUE/PINK timed runner bibs to move to the front of the start line)
- 5K Untimed: Meet at 410P at Start Line (Please allow those with BLUE/PINK timed runner bibs to move to the front of the start line)
- 1 Mile Family Fun Walk/Run: Meet at 420P at Start Line
All Runs/Walks finish on 115th Street (Eastbound) in front of Black & Veatch
The Racecourse map contains five (5) water stations and portable restrooms along the Racecourse. There are water stations and restrooms at/near the finish line as well. A special thank you to all of our Water Station Sponsors!
All Race courses finish at 115th Street heading eastbound in front of Black & Veatch. Runners and walkers should proceed through the finish line, grab a bottle of water, and feel free to go back to the Expo space or the Food Truck Rally to relax after their Race is completed. Timed runner results will be posted online after all of the Races are complete (after 6P on Race Day).
Find your timed Race results here (Coming Soon on 10.06.2018)
Food Truck Row
A special thank you to our favorite Kansas City-area food trucks for participating in our event (Note: trucks will be onsite from 200P until 600P or when they have run out of food). Each truck takes both cash and credit cards for their food and drink. A portion of sales will be donated back to Susan G. Komen. No alcohol is allowed on the Black & Veatch campus.
Food Trucks scheduled to attend include: (Coming Soon)
Social Media on Race Day
Our Social Media Command Center will be active from 1200P through the end of the event (approx. 600P). Please use the hashtags below or email us to ask questions/report issues with the Race.
Social Platforms & Hash Tags include:
Kids for the Cure
All kids must be registered and wearing their Race shirts, Race bibs or a specially-designed wristband to use the inflatable village. No exceptions. We love kids! To ensure all kids and families have a great experience please stop by our special Kids for the Cure section (Open from 200P until 600P). Inflatable village, games, food, and fun! All kids need to show their Race Bibs to gain entry to the Kids Zone. Additional entry fees can be purchased at the Registration tent.
Survivors Pavilion & Survivors Parade
Join us in the Survivors Pavilion between 200P and 600P on Race Day. Survivors and one (1) guest are invited to visit the pavilion on Race Day for some extra special pampering, gifts, food, drink, music and more! Please be sure to wear your PINK Race bib to indicate you are a breast cancer survivor. The annual breast cancer survivors parade will take place shortly after (approx.) 330P. Meet in the pavilion at 320P.
Your safety is our number one concern on Race Day. The First Aid Tent is located in the Expo space and is clearly marked. Any staff member and volunteer can point you in the right direction if needed. In addition, we have numerous uniformed police officers stationed throughout our venue and Racecourse. Thank you to all of our first responders for their assistance.
Our photography and social media team will be scattered throughout the Race Expo and Racecourse on Race Day. All Race day photos will be available for viewing and free downloads by 10.10.18 at noon.
Lost & Found
If for any reason you misplace an item on Race Day please check with our events team at the Main Stage (directly in front of the Black & Veatch front doors). All items found will be kept for two weeks.
Your safety is our number one concern on Race Day. The First Aid Tent is located in the Expo space and is clearly marked. Any staff member and volunteer can point you in the right direction if needed. In addition, we have numerous uniformed police officers stationed throughout the Expo space and Racecourse. Any of them can assist you as well. If you observe something out of the ordinary or are concerned about something on Race Day please see a uniformed officer or speak with one of our Race Day staff (identified by their Race Day staff badges and located throughout the Race venue, at the Fundraising Tent and the Main Stage).
Please check back often as we continue to update these pages.
Still have questions? Contact our Race Leadership Team:
- Registration Questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Team Questions: email@example.com
- Event Questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Volunteer Questions: email@example.com
Or call us at 816.842.4444 (Monday through Friday, 8A to 5P)